Related Links

BOULDER-The University of Colorado women's soccer team battled the Seattle Redhawks to a 1-1 double-overtime tie in non-conference play Saturday morning at Prentup Field.

Colorado (6-9-2, 2-5-2 Big 12) and Seattle (9-5-2) picked up their second tie of the season after playing 110 minutes. The only other tie the Buffaloes have played to was scoreless at home against Texas.

The Buffaloes added a game against Seattle just three days prior to the scheduled meeting. CU is allotted 20 games per season but only had 19 planned before the arrangements were made with SU.  

"We got another chance to improve our record," said Hayley Hughes. "It didn't work out as well as we would have liked, but it was good to get the team out and play some more. We don't know how long our season will go, so (playing another game) was good."

The Buffaloes got on the board first as Hughes split the defense 23 yards out and shot the ball at the goal. Her shot ricocheted off the crossbar and bounced into the bottom left corner of the goal at 10:45 to give the Buffs a 1-0 lead. The goal is Hughes' third of the season.

The Redhawks answered back in the 19th minute with a goal by Emma Levy. She headed the ball into the goal off a corner kick from Heather Thomas.

After the first 45 minutes, the score remained tied 1-1.

Both teams were held scoreless in the second half of play to send the game into overtime marking the seventh game this season the Buffs have seen extra time. After two 10 minute overtime periods without scoring on either end of the field, the Buffaloes tallied their second loss of the season, which gives them a 3-2-2 record in  games exceeding 90 minutes of regulation.

In the 108th minute, Amy Barczuk shot from 30 yards out in hopes of scoring the game-winning goal, but the ball was tipped by goalkeeper Madison Goverde sending it over the top of the goal. The score remained tied until the final buzzer sounded after 110 minutes with each team recording just one goal apiece.

Despite the even score, CU outshot Seattle 20-10 throughout the game, with 10 of them on goal.

"We started well, but then we got into some times when we couldn't possess the ball as well," said Hughes. "We didn't capitalize on any of the chances we had. We didn't play as well in overtime as we should have."

"It's just an absolute struggle for this team to score goals," said head coach Bill Hempen. "You'd think you can survive giving up just one, but we can't. We think we're doing the right things in training, but we obviously need to change some things to make a push here at the very end (of the season)."

CU has two conference matches left this season against Kansas and Nebraska. They are currently in ninth place in the Big 12 Conference, and only the top eight can make it to the post-season tournament.

"We hope (we can make it," said Hughes. "We definitely will need some help from other teams in the Big 12, but I honestly think that if we make it to the tournament we will go for it."

"We have to keep at it. We're not going to give up," Hempen said.

The Buffaloes are back in action at home on Monday, Oct. 25 when they take on the University of Kansas at 2:30 p.m. at Prentup Field. The first 50 fans to arrive wearing gold on Monday will receive a free Chipotle gift card. All fans to support the Buffs against the Jayhawks will receive a CU inflatable pennant before the game.  

-- Colorado -