MAUI --- University of Colorado head men's basketball coach Jeff Bzdelik will miss the EA Sports Maui Invitational after receiving news Sunday that his mother has fallen ill. Bzdelik left Maui Sunday afternoon for a flight to Chicago.
Associate Head Coach Steve McClain will coach the Buffaloes in Bzdelik's absence for the next three days that begins with CU's first round game against Gonzaga, Monday, 1 p.m. (MST) at the Lahaina Civic Center. The game will be televised by ESPN2.
McClain, the former University of Wyoming head coach from 1998-2007, brings over 27 years of coaching experience to the CU bench.
McClain is the second winningest coach in Cowboys' history with 157 career victories and posted one of the best home court records with a 102-26 (.790) mark. McClain averaged 18 victories in nine years at Wyoming with three NIT berths and one NCAA Tournament appearance.
Other McClain Notes:
- - Won the most regular-season Mountain West Conference games (60) in the regular season than any other coach in MWC history
- - Back-to-back MWC regular season champions (2000-01, 2001-02) a school first since the 1980-81 and 1981-82 seasons
- - Averaged 21 wins per season as a college head coach (three years as a junior college head coach, eight seasons as an NCAA Division I head coach)
- - Averaged 17.5 victories in nine years at Wyoming
- In 12 seasons as an assistant and head coach at the NCAA Division I level, his teams have averaged 18 wins per season
- - In 12 seasons at the Division I level, six of 12 teams have earned postseason tournament bidsAt Wyoming, led the Cowboys into the postseason in four of his first five seasons (1 NCAA, three NITs