WACO, Texas - The 2010-11 tennis season came to an end Thursday at the Big 12 Championships as the No. 41 nationally ranked Nebraska Cornhuskers defeated Colorado, 4-0 in the first round of the conference tournament at the Baylor Tennis Center.
In a season filled with injuries and a freshman dominated lineup, the Buffaloes end the season at 3-19 overall and a school record 16-match losing streak. The 19 losses are the most in one season.
The Cornhuskers, seeded No. 5 improves to 20-6 overall and advance to play No. 4 seed Texas A&M on Friday afternoon.
"Obviously, coming to any Big 12 Tennis Championships is a great experience for our players," said CU head coach Nicole Kenneally. "Nebraska has a great team this year, but I am also extremely proud of the group I have. They have gone through a lot of adverse situations this year.
"Sometimes it is hard to see what happens behind the scenes from the win-loss column, but I am extremely proud of everything they have put forward."
Nebraska has now defeated CU five-straight times and blanked the Buffs, 7-0 back on April 20 in Boulder. Since the series began in 1981, both schools have 18 wins apiece. Beginning July 1st, CU will join the Pac-12 Conference, Nebraska the Big Ten.
No. 41 Nebraska 4, Colorado 0
NU (20-6), CU (3-19)
April 28, Big 12 Tennis Championships, First Round
Waco, Texas (Baylor University)
1d) #81 Geibert/Weinstein (NU) def. Manzi Tenorio/Probert (CU) 8-3
2d) Anuszkiewicz/Schleich (CU) vs. Veresova/Weinreich (NU) - did not finish, tied 4-4
3d) Holmberg/Zeppernick (NU) def. Barber/Hedelund Jensen (CU) 8-0
Order of Finish: 3, 1
1s) Madeleine Geibert (NU) vs. Kristina Schleich (CU) 6-2, 3-1 - did not finish
2s) Patricia Veresova (NU) def. Abbie Probert (CU) 6-1, 6-0
3s) Stefanie Weinstein (NU) def. Michala Hedelund Jensen (CU) 6-1, 6-1
4s) Carla Manzi Tenorio (CU) vs. Janine Weinreich (NU) 6-5 - did not finish
5s) Jennifer Holmberg (NU) vs. Ania Anuszkiewicz (CU) 6-1, 5-1 - did not finish
6s) Maike Zeppernick (NU) def. Kristina Barber (CU) 6-0, 6-2
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 6
- CU went winless in conference play (0-11) for the first time ever.
- Freshman Kristina Schleich led the Buffaloes with eight dual match singles victories, followed by junior Michala Hedelund Jensen, and freshmen Winde Janssens and Carla Manzi Tenorio with five apiece.
- Janssens led the Buffs with three Big 12 singles wins, all at the No. 4 position.
- Hedelund Jensen and Schleich each had 16 wins for the year, followed by Manzi Tenorio with 13.
- Senior Abbie Probert ended her four-year career seventh all-time on the CU doubles list with 63 victories and 38th overall on the singles list with 40 wins.
- Probert finished her career tied for No. 21st overall in combined singles and doubles wins (103).
- Hedelund Jensen is No. 25 overall at CU with 41 doubles wins; No. 33 in singles with 46 triumphs.