Uploaded Ad

University of Colorado Licensing

Why Have A Licensing Program?
The University's licensing program provides the University of Colorado brand management over its logos and trademarks, thus, ensuring the quality and consistency of all of the University's merchandise. It also enables the University to generate revenue from the sale of merchandise bearing its logos and marks. The revenue is used to support and enhance many programs campus wide. Outside of the University, the trademark licensing program creates a cooperative and positive working relationship with the manufacturers, licensees and retailers who work with the University.

What Qualifies As A Trademark?
Any mark, logo, symbol, nickname, letter(s), word(s) or combination of these that can be associated with the University of Colorado qualifies as a trademark.

What Products Can Be Licensed?
Students, alumni and fans generate many great ideas for new University products. Products will be considered and must be approved by the University's Licensing Director. No products will be licensed without the approval of the Licensing Director. This ensures all products associated with the University are of high quality and good taste and, ensures the non-approval of potentially hazardous items.

Who Needs A License?
Anyone wishing to use the marks, logos and symbols of the University of Colorado must obtain a license.

What If You Do Not Get A License?
All products must be approved by the University's Trademark Licensing office. Failure to obtain a license or approval from the University's Trademark Licensing Office would be grounds for the seizure of all non-approved merchandise bearing the University's marks. It also could result in jail time and numerous fines if convicted.

Can An Alumni Or Student Group Sell Products Using The University's Marks As A Fundraiser?
Yes, but before contacting local manufacturers regarding new products, designs, or an idea for a fundraiser, be sure to check with the University's Trademark Licensing Office. They will be able to identify local manufacturers to produce the items, saving everyone time and effort.

What About Using The University's Name Or Logo On A Web Site?
Every use of the University's trademarks requires permission from the Trademark Licensing Office. The internet has made it easy for alumni, fans and supporters to build web pages with the University of Colorado's name and logos, and the University appreciates this support. However, federal trademark laws require that the University control it's name and marks; therefore, the University must be very selective in granting permission in these and all instances. For more information, contact the University's Trademark Licensing Office.

Who is responsible for the program?
The person responsible for the Trademark Licensing Program at The University of Colorado is:

J.T. Galloway
Assistant Athletic Director/Trademark Licensing
University of Colorado Athletic Department
368 UCB
Boulder, CO 80309

PH: 303-492-3806
Email: jt.galloway@colorado.edu

How Can You Obtain A License Application?
Anyone who wishes to obtain a license to produce merchandise must submit a licensing application. This application informs the University of how its marks will be used, what type of product the applicant makes, how the University is going to be represented, etc. Applications can be obtained by contacting:

The Collegiate Licensing Company
290 Interstate North, Suite 200
Atlanta, GA 30339
(770) 956-0520 or (770) 955-4491 Fax

Website: www.clc.com

What Is The Collegiate Licensing Company?
The Collegiate Licensing Company is the licensing representative for the University of Colorado. As the University's representative, CLC is responsible for administering the licensing program, including processing applications, collecting royalties, enforcing trademarks and pursuing new market opportunities for the University.

Who Is Licensed With The University?
Either the University's Trademark Licensing office or CLC can provide a list of current licensees for the University's merchandise. It is typically much easier to work with an established University licensee than to try and license a new product or idea. Both the University and CLC can provide you with information on the products produced by all licensees so you can match your needs with the right company.

The "Officially Licensed Collegiate Products" label signifies merchandise has passed the standards of quality set forth by the University and a portion of the purchase is returned to the University.

What Are The University's Trademarks?
The University's trademarks are any of the logos, marks, symbols, nicknames, letter(s) or word(s). Any design that could cause public confusion due to similarity to the trademarks appearing on this page is an infringement on the University's trademark rights.

A Buffs Beats with the CU Sports Performance gurus of Chris Sheckler and James Hardy.
The Colorado Buffaloes' brand new athletic facilities. Produced by: CU Video Narrated by: Joel Klatt...
Have you secured your legacy on the new Buff Walk.